This would make a great addition to your Shortbread Collection. Slightly crispy but retains that 'melt in your mouth' quality. The maple flavour is delicate. Very easy to make. My maple leaf cookie cutter measures 3-1/2" wide, and yielded 24 cookies. This is the companion recipe to Maple Shortbread, also from King Arthur Flour. Chilling time is not included in the prep time.
- Beat the butter with the sugars, salt, vanilla and maple extract, until well blended.
- Beat in the flour to form a smooth dough. The dough will be crumbly at first, but will come together as it's mixed.
- Divide the dough in half, pat each half into a disk, wrap well and chill for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or grease lightly.
- Sprinkle the dough and your work surface lightly with flour.
- Roll the dough till it's a scant 1/4" thick.
- Cut cookies with a cutter and place on the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with the extra maple sugar.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let sit on the baking sheet for several minutes before moving to a rack to cool completely.