Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 13 mins
I wish I could recall where I found this recipe, but I didn't leave myself any clues when I wrote it out some time ago. Designed for a largish crowd, this recipe can be cut in half easily. Great accompaniment to a festive meal such as Thanksgiving or Christmas.
- 4 lbs rutabagas
- 2⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Peel rutabaga and cut into cubes.
- Cook 30-40 minutes till tender.
- Drain and mash, adding maple syrup, butter, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in cranberries.
- Spread into a 2 litre baking dish.
- If making ahead, cover and refrigerate now for up to 24 hours, and add 15 minutes to baking time.
- Bake, covered, at 400F for 30 minutes or till hot.
- For topping, combine ingredients and sprinkle over top.
- Broil for 2 or 3 minutes until a nice golden colour.