Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a dish the my mom used to make often. It is such a comforting side dish to me! DH and I like spicy foods, so I always add serrano peppers for a little kick! Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans baked beans
- 5 slices bacon, cut in half
- Preheat broiler. In a saucepan, wisk together syrup, rum, ketchup, and mustard. Add onions and baked beans and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered until sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook bacon halves over medium heat until translucent but not yet crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Pour beans in a greased 2 quart baking dish and top beans with bacon strips. Broil until bacon is browned and crisp and beans begin to bubble around the edges, about 3 minutes.
I used baked beans already maple-flavored plus butter beans. The flavor is good but not remarkabley good.