Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
A nice roll that can go from breakfast to Thanksgiving dinner.
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dry active yeast
- 4 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large glass bowl stir together the warm water and yeast until yeast dissolves.
- Mix in 1/2 cup flour and 1 T.
- Cover with plastic, place in a warm spot for 45 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, add milk and butter, heat to simmer and stir until butter melts.
- Add pumpkin, syrup, eggs, salt, nutmeg and remaining sugar stirring well.
- Add to yeast mixture.
- Mix in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough, knead until dough is smooth and elastic, adding more flour as needed.
- Placec dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, around 1 hour.
- Lightly grease 2 baking sheets and set aside.
- Punch down dough.
- Knead gently until all air is pressed out.
- Divide dough into 18 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into 6 inch lengths and tie into knots.
- Arrange knots on the prepared baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, around 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden.