Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a soft cookie with a light, cakey texture, packed with autumn highlights and a whisper of spice. Great with cider or a cold glass of milk.
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup peeled and grated apple
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Combine the maple syrup, pumpkin puree, egg, and vanilla in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Cream the butter with an electric mixer, then stir in about half of the pumpkin mixture.
- In a separate bowl, toss together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture and the pumpkin mixture alternately to the butter mixture, stirring after each addition just until blended.
- Fold in the pecans and apple.
- Spoon heaping tablespoons of the batter, 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the bottom edges just start to brown.
- Transfer to racks and cool.
- Repeat with remaining batter.