This delicious sweet pie always comes out perfect and is very easy to make. Use a baking /pizza stone to place the pie dish on whilst baking to prevent the crust becoming soggy.
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Rub the fats into it until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add just enough cold water to mix to a dough that leaves the bowl clean. Leave the pastry to rest in a polythene bag in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Turn the oven to 400°F.
- Whilst the oven is heating up toast the pecans for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Roll the pastry out and place in a pie dish that has been dusted with cornflour.
- Blind bake for 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter and mix together with the maple syrup, sugar, eggs and vanilla essence.
- Fold in the pecans, you can chop them in half if desired.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 1 hour at 275°F.
- The pie is ready if it does not wobble at the outer edges when you twist the dish.
This is a delicious pie! I would love to give it more than 5 stars! I prepared this pie as a remake version for the Diabetic Cooking Challenge February 2008 using 1/2 cup of Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, 1/2 cup of Smuckers sugar free syrup, subbed 1 teaspoon of Maple flavoring and added 1 teaspoon corn meal for volume to the pie. Thanks Pie Queen for sharing this recipe!
Absolutely delicious! I love pecan pie, and the addition of the maple syrup is pure heaven. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!