Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love rice and curry was on the list for the challenge and I wanted to come up with something different. First I thought about adding the pecans into the rice mixture, then I decided to try something different by making a pecan, butter mixture for the top and finish it off in the oven. The addition of maple syrup was added at the last minute. I thought that the sweet would be a nice touch and it was perfect! This can be served as a main dish or side dish or other catagories.
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, i used a mild curry called,madras curry power,by sun brand
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, diced small
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced small
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, diced medium
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup rice, i use uncle ben converted long grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup pecans, chopped finely
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper, depending how much you like heat in your dish (optional)
- Bring broth to a boil, add 2 teaspoons butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add next 7 ingredients.
- Add rice and reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, in a medium size mixing bowl, combine finely chopped pecans, 2 Tablespoons melted melted butter, maple syrup, salt and pepper to taste, add cayenne, if desired and set on the side.
- After 15 minutes has passed, remove rice from heat, you will finish cooking this in the oven.
- Set oven for 425 degrees.
- Stir in Ricotta and Parmesan cheese and place in a greased, 1 1/2 quart, oven proof, casserole dish.
- Top with pecan topping and bake, uncovered, in a 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, uncovered.
I have to do a split here I enjoyed this while my DH wouldn`t eat it after his first bite. I used turkey stock made it smell like thanksgiving while preparing. I think if we skipped the cheese this would be a 10 star recipe. I liked the kick the cayenne gave this dish.
AMAZING! This is something so unique and tasty with an equally awesome name! We enjoyed this for lunch this afternoon. I did substitute the chicken stock with Maggi Vegtable stock with onions. Since the stock had enough of salt already, I omitted the extra salt as well. I substituted the butter with Sunflower oil. I did use 1 cup of mushrooms(since we love them!). I did not use any pepper or cayenne pepper for this since it was nice as it was and we wouldn't be able to have it too spicy. We loved the presentation of this rice as much as we loved the taste - amazing! All the best for the contest!