Recipe by Judy-Jude
I love rice and curry was on the list for the challenge and I wanted to come up with something different. First I thought about adding the pecans into the rice mixture, then I decided to try something different by making a pecan, butter mixture for the top and finish it off in the oven. The addition of maple syrup was added at the last minute. I thought that the sweet would be a nice touch and it was perfect! This can be served as a main dish or side dish or other catagories.
Top Review by Rita~
I have to do a split here I enjoyed this while my DH wouldn`t eat it after his first bite. I used turkey stock made it smell like thanksgiving while preparing. I think if we skipped the cheese this would be a 10 star recipe. I liked the kick the cayenne gave this dish.
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, i used a mild curry called,madras curry power,by sun brand
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, diced small
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced small
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, diced medium
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup rice, i use uncle ben converted long grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup pecans, chopped finely
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper, depending how much you like heat in your dish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth to a boil, add 2 teaspoons butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add next 7 ingredients.
- Add rice and reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, in a medium size mixing bowl, combine finely chopped pecans, 2 Tablespoons melted melted butter, maple syrup, salt and pepper to taste, add cayenne, if desired and set on the side.
- After 15 minutes has passed, remove rice from heat, you will finish cooking this in the oven.
- Set oven for 425 degrees.
- Stir in Ricotta and Parmesan cheese and place in a greased, 1 1/2 quart, oven proof, casserole dish.
- Top with pecan topping and bake, uncovered, in a 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, uncovered.