Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
With autum comes brilliant colors, a crispness to the air, and memorable gatherings of family and friends. Embrace the spirit of the season and delight your family and guests with this anything but ordinary fruit crisp. The secret to this fast and simple dessert is a 'Maple Pecan Crunch' breakfast cereal (sold in big and small grocery stores and food markets). The flavorful combination of maple syrup with the crunchy textrue of pecan is sure to make this apple crisp recipe an inviting addition to your cookbook collection.
- 4 large granny smith apples, cored, peeled and sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup dark plump raisins
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar, plus
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- salt, pinch
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold
- 2 1⁄2 cups Post Selects maple pecan crunch cereal
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the apples and raisins with 3 tablesppons of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and salt. Spoon into a buttered 9-inch pie plate.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the remaining brown sugar and spices, and the flour; give a couple good stirs with a wooden spoon.
- Cut in the butter with two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in cereal. Sprinkle over the apple mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping starts to brown and apples are tender.
- Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Cook's Tip: For a special treat, sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese on top of the crumble topping the last 10 minutes of baking. Yummm!