A Cooking Light Recipe. You can use apples instead of pears. Beautiful presentation and delicious.
Make and share this Maple-pear Upside-down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 3 peeled bartlett pears or 3 Anjou pears, each cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bring syrup to a boil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; arrange pears in pan in a spokelike fashion.
- Place pan over medium-high heat, and cook until syrup thickens (about 4 minutes), gently shaking pan frequently.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt); stirring well with a whisk.
- Place sugar, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well-blended (about 2 minutes).
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter evenly over pear mixture in prepared pan; wrap handle of skillet with foil.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Run a knife around outside edge.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes.
- Place a plate upside down on top of cake; invert onto plate.
- Serve warm.
The cake was baked in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. The pears were spaced nicely but did shrink while cooking and I would recommended putting them closely together so that as they cook they will be spaced more evenly. Everyone loved this even though it was served at room temperature.
This is a simple and tasty upside-down cake. Thanks so much for posting.
Lovely cake and so good. I used 3 anjou pears and baked in a round baking dish instead of skillet. Inverted onto a cake plate and served with whipped topping.