1/1 Photo of Maple-pear Upside-down Cake
A Cooking Light Recipe. You can use apples instead of pears. Beautiful presentation and delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 peeled bartlett pears or 3 Anjou pears, each cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Bring syrup to a boil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; cook 2 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat; arrange pears in pan in a spokelike fashion.
- 4Place pan over medium-high heat, and cook until syrup thickens (about 4 minutes), gently shaking pan frequently.
- 5Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- 6Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt); stirring well with a whisk.
- 7Place sugar, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well-blended (about 2 minutes).
- 8Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 9Stir in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- 10Pour batter evenly over pear mixture in prepared pan; wrap handle of skillet with foil.
- 11Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- 12Run a knife around outside edge.
- 13Cool in pan 5 minutes.
- 14Place a plate upside down on top of cake; invert onto plate.
- 15Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maple-pear Upside-down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.6
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 73.8 mg
- Sodium 236.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 31.6 g
- Protein 4.0 g