Recipe by nsomniak6
This recipe is from Cook's Illustrated and I made them today and it is fabulous! I omitted the pepper but stuck by the rest of the recipe. "Cutting the sweet potatoes into slices of even thickness is important in getting them to cook at the same rate. A potato masher will yield slightly lumpy sweet potatoes; a food mill will make a perfectly smooth puree. The potatoes are best served immediately, but they can be covered tightly with plastic wrap and kept relatively hot for 30 minutes. This recipe can be doubled in a Dutch oven; the cooking time will need to be doubled as well."
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 2 large or 3 medium-small potatoes)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine butter, cream, salt, sugar, and sweet potatoes in 3 to 4 quart saucepan; cook, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes fall apart when poked with fork, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Off heat, mash sweet potatoes in saucepan with potato masher, or transfer mixture to hopper of food mill and process into warmed serving bowl. Stir in pepper, maple syrup, and orange zest; serve immediately.