Recipe by Annacia
This turkey roast blends light and dark meat -- but it's compact and carves easily into neat slices. Grill the meat to free up oven space for the turkey trimmings
Top Review by Chef Saskatchewan Bound
Excellent recipe. I adapted another recipe (eye round roast) to this. Here's how it goes. First mix the dry ingredient including garlic. Next rub the turkey breast on all sides with dry ingredients. Wrap the breast in plastic wrap and return to refrigerator to marinate overnight. Remove breast from refrigerator, unwrap and brush with melted butter. Mix the glaze as directed EXCEPT you must cut the dry ingredients including garlic in HALF (the original directions said to reserve 1/2 for glaze). Before roasting brush with melted butter (over dry rub). Cook for 30 minutes then baste. Continue basting every 15 minutes until internal temperature reaches 165* Follow directions on standing times. Mean while re heat leftover glaze slightly in microwave (20 seconds). Serve. This is the most tender, tasty turkey you will ever have!
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 (2 1/2-3 1/2 lb) boneless turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl combine garlic, marjoram, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan stir together the orange juice and cornstarch; add half of the seasoning mixture.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Stir in maple syrup and orange peel; set aside.
- Brush the turkey roast with melted butter and rub with remaining seasoning mixture.
- Insert a meat thermometer near the center of the roast.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan.
- Test for medium heat above the pan.
- Place the turkey roast directly on the grill rack over the pan.
- Cover; grill until thermometer registers 165°F Add coals to maintain heat every 30 minutes.
- Brush with glaze the last 30 minutes of grilling.
- Remove meat from grill.
- Cover with foil; let stand for 15 minutes before carving. (The meat's temperature will rise 5F during standing).
- Bring any remaining glaze to boiling; pass with turkey. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above.).
- OR, use the oven @325 degrees until thermometer reaches 165F (should be about 1 1/2 hrs). Follow glazing and standing directions above.