This turkey roast blends light and dark meat -- but it's compact and carves easily into neat slices. Grill the meat to free up oven space for the turkey trimmings
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 (2 1/2-3 1/2 lb) boneless turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a small bowl combine garlic, marjoram, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan stir together the orange juice and cornstarch; add half of the seasoning mixture.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Stir in maple syrup and orange peel; set aside.
- Brush the turkey roast with melted butter and rub with remaining seasoning mixture.
- Insert a meat thermometer near the center of the roast.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan.
- Test for medium heat above the pan.
- Place the turkey roast directly on the grill rack over the pan.
- Cover; grill until thermometer registers 165°F Add coals to maintain heat every 30 minutes.
- Brush with glaze the last 30 minutes of grilling.
- Remove meat from grill.
- Cover with foil; let stand for 15 minutes before carving. (The meat's temperature will rise 5F during standing).
- Bring any remaining glaze to boiling; pass with turkey. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above.).
- OR, use the oven @325 degrees until thermometer reaches 165F (should be about 1 1/2 hrs). Follow glazing and standing directions above.