Feast Your Eyes!'s Note:
This dish is perfect for a chilly fall evening. The rosemary seasoned chicken and tender sweet potatoes coated in a sweet citrus glaze, and cradled in a bread bowl is both delicious and satisfying. (Try this glaze over grilled ham steaks - DELISH!!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 loaves bread, small round (country-style or sourdough)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 4 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large shallots, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped scallion
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1Make a 1/2-inch deep cut horizontally across the top of the bread loaves. Using a sharp knife, hollow to form a large bowl. Set aside. (BE CAREFUL TO NOT BREAK THROUGH THE SIDES OR THE BOTTOM CRUST). Cut the scooped out bread into crouton sized cubes and bake in 425°F oven until brown; set aside.
- 2Place sweet potatoes in a large pot; add enough water to cover. Cook over a high flame and bring to a boil, lower flame to medium-high and cook until tender (about 3 - 5 minutes); drain and set aside.
- 3Make the glaze by whisking together the orange juice, orange zest, maple syrup, brown sugar, cloves, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- 4Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large-wide skillet over a medium-high flame. Season the chicken cubes with salt, pepper, onion powder, rosemary, and ginger. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the center is no longer pink. Remove the chicken and keep warm.
- 5Heat HALF of the maple-orange glaze in a sauce pan until thick and bubbly, about 15 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- 6Add remaining oil to the skillet. Sauté shallots and red onion over a medium-high flame until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic to the onion and cook it just long enough to coat with oil. To the skillet, add the chicken, sweet potatoes and the remaining glaze mixture; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 10 minutes - glaze should be thick and bubbly.
- 7In small bowl, mix together cranberries, walnuts, scallions and red pepper. In large mixing bowl, gently toss the glazed chicken and sweet potatoes, the cranberry mixture, and the baked croutons - If desired, drizzle additional glaze to thoroughly coat the chicken and sweet potato mixture.
- 8Divide and transfer to the hollowed bread loaves; sprinkle with parsley to garnish. Place the "bread bowls" on a plate or in a deep soup bowl. Serve with extra maple-orange glaze on the side.
- 9DON'T FORGET -- YOU CAN EAT THE BOWL!
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maple-Orange Glazed Chicken and Sweet Potatoes in a Bread Bowl
Serving Size: 1 (893 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1668.9
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 98.7 mg
- Sodium 3323.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 279.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.9 g
- Sugars 69.5 g
- Protein 73.9 g