Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious recipe from Canadian Living's Best Weekend Pleasures. Fairly simple preparation but impressive to serve. Can be prepped early in the day and popped in the oven when company arrives.
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 3 (1 1/4 lb) Cornish hens
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, finely grated
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- In small saucepan, whisk together maple syrup, orange juice, wine (if using) and rosemary. Bring to boil; boil for 3 to 5 minutes or until glaze is slightly thickened. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cut wing tips from hens. Using kitchen shears or sharp knife, cut along each side of back bone; discard backbone. Cut through breastbone to separate into halves. Trim off excess fat and skin. Gently loosen skin from each half of hens, leaving skin attached at back side. Startinng at breast, ease in orange rind over flesh under skin.
- Place hens, skin side up, on foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; brush with 1/3 of glaze. Roast in 375 F oven, brushing with glaze twice, for 45 minutes or until browned and juices run clear when hen is pierced.
- Arrange hens on serving platter; garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs and orange slices, if desired.
We loved this recipe! I am always on the lookout for game hen recipes and this was great. It was easy to make as well. I only made 2 hens but I didn't change the proportions of the other ingredients. I am thinking of using this for our holiday meal at Christmas. Thanks for posting a keeper! Made for PAC Fall 2009.