Recipe by KelBel
The secret ingredient in this recipe is the 1 envelope of dried onion soup mix (from a 2.0oz box). My mom gave me this recipe with molasses in it, but I omitted that and added maple syrup. This is a tried and true recipe that has been enjoyed for decades.
- 2 cups dried navy beans
- 0.5 (2 ounce) Lipton Recipe Secrets onion soup mix (1 envelope)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash beans, cover and soak overnight. Drain and combine with 6 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes until tender.
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Drain beans, reserving 1 1/2 cups liquid.
- Place beans in bean pot, mix in onion soup mix, maple syrup, mustard, brown sugar and bean liquid.
- Place cut up salt pork in center of beans if desired. (Omit for vegetarian beans).
- Bake covered for 5 hours. Stir every hour and add more water if necessary.