Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Use a large saucepan as the milk can boil over.
- 4 cups milk, plus warm milk for serving
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking steel-cut irish oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mixed dried fruit (such as apricots, cranberries, cherries, and plums)
- 1⁄2 cup granola cereal
- In a big saucepan, combine the 4 cups milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and 1/3 cup syrup; whisk to blend.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add in oatmeal and cook, stirring constantly, for 5-7 minutes, or until desired thickness and texture.
- Add in dried fruit and granola; stir to combine.
- Cook for 1 minute; spoon into shallow bowls and serve immediately with maple syrup and warm milk on the side.
I have never made something like this before but I had a sick shivery child and thought this might be perfect and it was. DD aged 22 said it tasted like "an American blog in a bowl" - a lovely description. I added sultanas as my dried fruit and put a granola type cereal on top. It was easy and delicious.