Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this in the January/ February 2008 Vegetarian Times magazine. The dough can be made a day ahead, refrigerated, then baked for hot scones in the morning.
- 3⁄4 cup currants
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place currants in a bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Whisk together flours, oats, baking powder, suger, and salt in a large bowl. Add butter pieces, and rub into flour mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk together milk and maple syrup. Stir into flour mixture just until dough comes together. Drain currants, and stir into dough.
- Transfer dough to a well-floured work surface, and knead 2 to 3 times, or until smooth. Pat into 1-inch-thick square. Cut 16 scones with a 2-inch round cutter, and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until brown on top.