Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These made a lovely breakfast this morning! Fairly heavily modified from a recipe in a cute little "all muffins" cookbook I got years ago. The original recipe says this makes 12 but I have old/small muffin tins and I got 24. If you have large muffin tins you'll probably only get 12.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray your muffin tins with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl beat together the sucanat and eggs until well mixed.
- Add the soymilk and maple syrup and mix well.
- On top of the liquid add the whole wheat flour, the 1 1/2 cups oatmeal, baking powder and baking soda.
- When all has been added, mix well being careful not to overbeat.
- Spoon your batter into your muffin cups. Once they are full, sprinkle a little bit of the oatmeal on top of each muffin. The original recipe calls for a teaspoon on each but we don't like that much oatmeal on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
It is always awesome to find a recipe that calls for non-dairy milk substitutes. After reading the other views that said the batter was thin, I used 1 cup of vanilla almond milk instead of the 1 and 1/4 cups. The muffins came out dense, delicious and very filling. I ended up with 18 muffins total from one recipe.
These are really good. I love that they are made with soymilk and I don't have to change the recipe. Most people have these ingredients on hand and this was a breeze to make. Just the right amount of sweetness. I did have some trouble getting them out of the muffin tin, even with using a non-stick pan and cooking spray. I suggest using silicon liners. The batter was very thin even after adding 3 heaping TBSPs of flour. Thanks so much, we all enjoyed eating these muffins.
I experimented a bit with this recipe, for dietary reasons, and had great success! I used Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, and for the maple syrup, I used only 1/2 cup Agave nectar with 1/2 tsp maple flavoring. A previous reviewer mentioned the batter was thin, so I did not replace the 1/4 cup liquid missing for maple syrup I didn't use. I topped mine with chopped pecans instead of oatmeal. Great texture and flavor to these muffins.