Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Made in the slow-cooker.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (or a combination of) or 1⁄2 cup dried cherries (or a combination of) or 1⁄2 cup dried blueberries (or a combination of) or 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries (or a combination of)
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (plus extra for serving)
- Combine all the ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-9 hours, or overnight.
- Stir the oatmeal well and scoop into bowls.
- Serve with milk and maple syrup.
What a pleasure to wake up and breakfast is ready! For us the oatmeal was on the watery side so we changed the setting to "high" and took a 10 minute walk, and it thickened up well - perfect! I'll try adding less water and see if that works too. It's fun how the dried cherries puff up like balloons, back to cherry size! This serves three people unless you're huge eaters. Great flavor with no additional milk or maple syrup necessary!