Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
These are very thin crisps, sweetened with Pure maple syrup and made from whole wheat pastry flour. If you can't find a blood orange, any organic orange will do. The time includes a 1 hour chill time.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon blood orange, zest of
- 1⁄3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream the butter and orange zest until fluffy. Beat in the maple syrup. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well mixed.
- In a medium bowl, combine th eflour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, oats, and pecans. Stir into the butter mixture to make soft dough. Chill the dough mixture for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the over to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Use a tablespoon to scoop the dough, form in into balls, and place on the sheets at least 3 inches apart. A standard baking sheet should hold 5 cookies.
- Bake for 6 to 7 minutes, reverse the position of the sheets, then bake for 6 to 7 minutes more, until the cookies have a dark golden edge that extends about 1/2 inch into the cookie. Cool for 10 minutes on the pans, then transfer to a cooling rack with a spatula to finish cooling completely.