Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
A delicious bread for breakfast, brunch or a snack.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup rolled oats, plus extra
- rolled oats, to sprinkle in the bottom of the pan
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple extract
- Grease a tube pan and sprinkle oats on the bottom.
- Mix flour, 1 cup oats and baking soda.
- Cream shortening and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the80 bananas, eggs and walnuts and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed until mixed.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350º for 80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean ~ begin checking for doneness at 1 hour.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Invert on wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle with maple glaze.
- Maple Glaze: Combine confectioner's sugar, lemon juice and maple extract in a medium bowl until well mixed. Add enough water to form a smooth glaze consistency, stirring constantly.