Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve hot out of the oven with butter.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup (preferably Grade A dark amber)
- 3 tablespoons maple sugar (found in gourmet or specialty food stores)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray muffin tray indentations and rims w/ cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together; set aside.
- In a bigger bowl, whisk the eggs until lightly beaten; whisk in the maple syrup and maple sugar; continue whisking until thick and pale brown, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk, melted butter, vanilla, and vinegar.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir in the flour mixture until moistened.
- Fill prepared muffin tins ¾ full; bake for 20 minutes or until muffins are golden with rounded, cracked tops; pick in the center should come out with a crumb or two attached.
- Set pan in a wire rack to cool 10 minutes; gently rock each muffin back and forth to release and remove it from the tin; cool for 5 minutes on the rack.
- *Granola Maple Muffins—sprinkle 2 teaspoons granola on top of each muffin before baking.
- *Maple Rum Currant Muffins—omit the vinegar; add 1 teaspoon rum extract with the vanilla; mix ½ cup dried currants in with the maple syrup; proceed as directed.
This is my favorite recipe. Not to sweet just right! Very easy to make which is a good thing for me during the week. I chose to put Nina's Healthy Granola in this recipe. So worth trying.