Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I decided to experiment a little with meatloaf, since I don't cook often, I tend to experiment when I do. The kids loved it, which is odd for them. I find it works well in a cast-iron dutchoven.
- 1 lb ground beef, raw
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sweet pepper, diced
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup pumpernickel bread, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 8 slices bacon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Chop vegetables while toasting bread. In a mixing bowl put ground meat, add egg, vegetables and Worcestershire Sauce. Tear bread into small pieces and add to mix. Knead ingredients together and add syrup and salt and pepper. Knead until mixture is homogeneous.
- Place mixture in lubricated baking dish and spread out evenly. Add bacon in a weaving pattern on top. Cover and place in oven.
- After about 30 minutes, remove cover and put under the broiler for about 5 minutes or until bacon is of desired crispness.