Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Holiday Side Dishes From Woman's World Magazine 11/23/04. I made these for Christmas Day and they stole the show.
- In pot combine sweet potatoes with enough salted water to cover. Over high heat bring to boil. Cook until tender, 10 minutes. Drain; return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in nonstick skillet over medium-hig heat cook bacon until crisp, 6-8 minutes; drain on paper towels. Crumble.
- In microwave-safe bowl combine half-and-half and maple syrup; microwave on High until warm, 1-2 minutes.
- Mash sweet potatoes with butter until smooth. Gradually mash in maple mixture.
- Stir in salt, cumin and pepper. Reserve 1/4 cup bacon and 1 t. chives. Stir remaining bacon and chives into potatoes. Transfer to dish; top w ith bacon and chives.
These are awesome! I made as directed except that I was out of chives and used green onions to garnish. I considered going back to eat leftovers as dessert. lol. Thanks Jackie for a wonderful new keeper. Made for Whats on the Menu tag.
I've made this for the holidays for 5 years now. I hated the marshmallow topped sweet potatoes we had when I was a child and decided to give these a try. I leave out the cumin but if you try these do keep the bacon- the smoky taste is incredible with the maple sweetness.
I have not made this yet.. but WOW. Maple syrup in sweet potatoes? Sounds amazing. Can't wait to make this.