Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Spicy and sweet tempeh that melts in your mouth, suitable for vegans and those with lactose/wheat/gluten intolerances. Can be served warm or cold. Keeps in fridge for up to 5 days. Can be used as burger/sandwich filling or with greens for optimal food combination. Recipe adapted only slightly from Peter Berley's "The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen". My most requested recipe.
- 300 g tempeh
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml tamari
- 118.29 ml apple cider vinegar
- 78.07 ml maple syrup
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 9.85 ml ground red chili pepper
- 4.92 ml paprika
- Preheat oven 230 degrees celcius.
- Slice tempeh into pieces desired size.
- Select ovenproof dish that holds the slices in a single snug layer.
- In a bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.
- Pour half of marinade into baking dish and place tempeh on top.
- Pour over remaining tempeh.
- Cover baking dish with foil and form a tight seal.
- Bake for 15 mins then use tongs to turn over tempeh and bake covered for another 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake uncovered for further 10 mins or until browned.
This was my first attempt at making tempeh, and I am happy I chose this recipe. The sauce turned out like a bbq sauce, and the texture of the tempeh was a bit chewy, which I liked. I posted a picture of the tempeh for others to see.
Delicious! Very flavorful... Anything would be wonderful made with this sauce! Yum Yum....
Very good and easy tempeh dish! I ended up with more marinade than I thought I would, but it would be good to use with tofu or something else... I put my tempeh over room temperature baby spinach and it was a nice combo. The spinach helped balance out the sweet and tangy flavor of the tempeh.