Recipe by Raspberrytart
Spicy and sweet tempeh that melts in your mouth, suitable for vegans and those with lactose/wheat/gluten intolerances. Can be served warm or cold. Keeps in fridge for up to 5 days. Can be used as burger/sandwich filling or with greens for optimal food combination. Recipe adapted only slightly from Peter Berley's "The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen". My most requested recipe.
Top Review by goodcook10
This was my first attempt at making tempeh, and I am happy I chose this recipe. The sauce turned out like a bbq sauce, and the texture of the tempeh was a bit chewy, which I liked. I posted a picture of the tempeh for others to see.
- 300 g tempeh
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup tamari
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 230 degrees celcius.
- Slice tempeh into pieces desired size.
- Select ovenproof dish that holds the slices in a single snug layer.
- In a bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.
- Pour half of marinade into baking dish and place tempeh on top.
- Pour over remaining tempeh.
- Cover baking dish with foil and form a tight seal.
- Bake for 15 mins then use tongs to turn over tempeh and bake covered for another 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake uncovered for further 10 mins or until browned.