1/1 Photo of Maple Leaf Sugar Cookies
2 hrs 30 mins
Perfect for Fall. Cookies to make between Halloween and Thanksgiving. I use my Maple Leaf cookie cutters, and even make a few with my Oak Leaf cutter. I believe the secret to this recipe is to use pure maple syrup. I count chilling time in with the prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Measure 3 cups of sifted flour and salt into sifter.
- 2Set aside. (I put the sifter on the flour tin lid, so I won't loose the flour that comes through before I sift into the other ingredients.).
- 3Beat softened butter and the two sugars until light and creamy. (medium high speed on electric mixer).
- 4Reduce speed and add egg yolk until well blended.
- 5Add 1/2 cup maple syrup and mix until blended.
- 6Remove beaters and now use a wooden spoon.
- 7Slowly sift flour into bowl mixing with wooden spoon, until just well blended.
- 8Divide dough into thirds and make each 1/3 into a flat disc.
- 9Place on sheets of floured wax paper, with well floured hands.
- 10Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight to thoroughly chill dough.
- 11Take discs from refrigerator and roll out to 1/8" to 1/4" thickness, and put in freezer to firm for about 15 minutes. (this makes it easier to handle the cut cookies).
- 12Preheat oven to 325°.
- 13Line cookie sheets with foil and spray lightly with vegetable cooking spray.
- 14Cut cookies from chilled dough and bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on thickness of cookie.
- 15Move cookies to wire rack and brush with maple syrup (this is the other 1/2 cup of syrup) and sprinkle with sanding sugar. (I use red, yellow, and green sanding sugars, although the white is lovely too.).
- 16Place in tin or serving plate when cool.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maple Leaf Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.0
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 19.3 mg
- Sodium 54.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 1.2 g