Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Perfect for Fall. Cookies to make between Halloween and Thanksgiving. I use my Maple Leaf cookie cutters, and even make a few with my Oak Leaf cutter. I believe the secret to this recipe is to use pure maple syrup. I count chilling time in with the prep time.
- 709.77 ml flour (All-purpose, sifted)
- 1.23 ml salt
- 236.59 ml butter (2 sticks, softened)
- 118.29 ml sugar (granulated)
- 118.29 ml brown sugar (dark, well packed)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 236.59 ml maple syrup (pure grade A)
- 118.29 ml sugar (sanding, large crystals)
- Measure 3 cups of sifted flour and salt into sifter.
- Set aside. (I put the sifter on the flour tin lid, so I won't loose the flour that comes through before I sift into the other ingredients.).
- Beat softened butter and the two sugars until light and creamy. (medium high speed on electric mixer).
- Reduce speed and add egg yolk until well blended.
- Add 1/2 cup maple syrup and mix until blended.
- Remove beaters and now use a wooden spoon.
- Slowly sift flour into bowl mixing with wooden spoon, until just well blended.
- Divide dough into thirds and make each 1/3 into a flat disc.
- Place on sheets of floured wax paper, with well floured hands.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight to thoroughly chill dough.
- Take discs from refrigerator and roll out to 1/8" to 1/4" thickness, and put in freezer to firm for about 15 minutes. (this makes it easier to handle the cut cookies).
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Line cookie sheets with foil and spray lightly with vegetable cooking spray.
- Cut cookies from chilled dough and bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on thickness of cookie.
- Move cookies to wire rack and brush with maple syrup (this is the other 1/2 cup of syrup) and sprinkle with sanding sugar. (I use red, yellow, and green sanding sugars, although the white is lovely too.).
- Place in tin or serving plate when cool.
I am interested in trying this recipe, but I see the ingredient list calls for 1 cup of maple syrup, but the method only calls for 1/2 cup. Which is correct?