1/1 Photo of Maple Leaf Sugar Cookies
2 hrs 30 mins
Perfect for Fall. Cookies to make between Halloween and Thanksgiving. I use my Maple Leaf cookie cutters, and even make a few with my Oak Leaf cutter. I believe the secret to this recipe is to use pure maple syrup. I count chilling time in with the prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Measure 3 cups of sifted flour and salt into sifter.
- 2Set aside. (I put the sifter on the flour tin lid, so I won't loose the flour that comes through before I sift into the other ingredients.).
- 3Beat softened butter and the two sugars until light and creamy. (medium high speed on electric mixer).
- 4Reduce speed and add egg yolk until well blended.
- 5Add 1/2 cup maple syrup and mix until blended.
- 6Remove beaters and now use a wooden spoon.
- 7Slowly sift flour into bowl mixing with wooden spoon, until just well blended.
- 8Divide dough into thirds and make each 1/3 into a flat disc.
- 9Place on sheets of floured wax paper, with well floured hands.
- 10Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight to thoroughly chill dough.
- 11Take discs from refrigerator and roll out to 1/8" to 1/4" thickness, and put in freezer to firm for about 15 minutes. (this makes it easier to handle the cut cookies).
- 12Preheat oven to 325°.
- 13Line cookie sheets with foil and spray lightly with vegetable cooking spray.
- 14Cut cookies from chilled dough and bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on thickness of cookie.
- 15Move cookies to wire rack and brush with maple syrup (this is the other 1/2 cup of syrup) and sprinkle with sanding sugar. (I use red, yellow, and green sanding sugars, although the white is lovely too.).
- 16Place in tin or serving plate when cool.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maple Leaf Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.0
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 19.3 mg
- Sodium 54.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 1.2 g