Recipe by CaribbeanQueen
I adapted this recipe from the Maple Leaf Farms web site. OH MY GOSH! This is so delicious. I have served this to people with all different food preferences. Everyone raves! Even friends that swore they didn't like duck were won over by this great recipe. If you are a duck fan already, go to the Maple Leaf Farms site and enjoy.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 12 ounces smoked duck, shredded (see my note below)
- 2 tablespoons canned green chilies, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 6 soft flour tortillas
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Personal Note: I live in Mexico - I don't have access to Maple Leaf Farms Smoked Duck, so I had to smoke my own duck breasts. I seasoned them with just a little salt and pepper and slow smoked them until they reached 130 degrees. It is pretty warm here, so it only took a couple of hours. So easy, so good.
- Spice Mixture:.
- Place spice mixture in a small non-stick frying pan. Place over medium heat. Stir CONSTANTLY to toast spices and release their aroma. Don't let them brown. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- Duck Part:.
- Heat oil in medium frying pan. When hot but not smoking, add onion and saute, stirring constantly until onion begins to brown lightly. Add garlic and jalapeno and continue stirring until garlic becomes fragrant but does not brown. Add shredded duck and toss to heat and distribute onion, garlic and spices evenly. Add chilies and oregano; toss well. Add lime juice and let cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add sour cream; mix well. Place in a bowl to cool.
- Place soft tortillas on worktable in front of you. Spread about 1/2 T. mayonnaise on tortilla, to edges. Spread about 1/6 of the duck mixture on half of the tortilla. Cover with the shredded cheese.
- Fold tortilla in half and brush outsides lightly with olive oil. Reserve to a plate; repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan until hot and brush with some of the remaining oil. Place 2 quesadillas in pan and fry over medium heat until lightly browned. Turn and repeat on the other side. Drain on paper towels. Keep in warm oven until all quesadillas are done.
- Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges, decoratively garnish with Avocado Cream.
- Avocado Cream:.
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until very smooth.
- Place in squeeze bottle and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve with a chopped salad.
- Buen Provecho!