Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Use pure maple syrup, medium or dark amber. Do not substitute maple-flavored pancake syrup.
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with the maple syrup, flour, and salt; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the half-and-half to a simmer.
- Slowly beat the hot half-and-half into the eggs and maple syrup.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat.
- Stir constantly, using a whisk or wooden spoon, until the custard thickens slightly (be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble).
- Remove from heat and pour the custard through a strainer into a large clean bowl.
- Let the custard cool slightly, then stir in the cream and vanilla; cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard; freeze in 1 or 2 batches in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
- When done, the ice cream will be soft but ready to eat; for firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze several hours.