4 hrs 30 mins
Another great turkey recipe. This gravy is exceptional. Some of the work can be done the day before to save time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander seed, coarsely cracked (in plastic bag)
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 18 lbs whole turkey, neck, gizzard, heart reserved
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, with leaves, chopped
- 2 cups parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1FOR MAPLE BUTTER:.
- 2Boil maple syrup and 2 tablespoons marjoram in heavy medium saucepan until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 4 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat.
- 4Mix in 1 tablespoon marjoram, coriander, lemon peel, and pepper.
- 5Add butter and whisk until well blended.
- 6Freeze until butter is firm but still spreadable, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.
- 7(Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- 8FOR TURKEY:.
- 9Set rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 375°F
- 10Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry with paper towels.
- 11Place turkey on small rack set in large roasting pan.
- 12Starting at neck end, carefully slide hand between skin and breast meat to loosen skin.
- 13Rub 1/2 cup maple butter over breast meat under skin.
- 14If stuffing turkey, spoon stuffing into neck and main cavities.
- 15Tie legs together loosely to hold shape.
- 16Rub 1/4 cup maple butter over outside of turkey.
- 17Reserve remaining maple butter for gravy.
- 18Arrange onions, celery, parsnips, and reserved turkey parts around turkey in pan.
- 19Sprinkle vegetables with remaining 1 tablespoon marjoram.
- 20Roast turkey 30 minutes.
- 21Reduce temperature to 350°F
- 22Cover entire turkey (not pan) with foil and roast 1 1/2 hours.
- 23Add 2 cups broth to pan; roast turkey 1 1/2 hours.
- 24Remove foil.
- 25Add 1 cup broth to pan and roast turkey until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F, basting occasionally with pan juices, about 30 minutes longer if unstuffed or 1 hour longer if stuffed.
- 26Transfer turkey to platter; tent with foil and let stand 30 minutes (internal temperature of turkey will increase 5 to 10 degrees).
- 27Reserve mixture in pan for gravy.
- 28FOR GRAVY:.
- 29Strain pan juices into large measuring cup, pressing on solids; discard solids in strainer.
- 30Spoon fat from top of pan juices; discard fat.
- 31Add enough chicken broth to pan juices in cup to measure 4 1/2 cups.
- 32Melt 1/4 cup maple butter and 3 tablespoons butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 33Add flour; whisk constantly until mixture is deep brown, about 8 minutes (mixture will resemble lumpy oatmeal-like paste).
- 34Gradually whisk in broth mixture; bring to boil.
- 35Add bay leaf and boil until thickened to sauce consistency, whisking occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- 36Whisk in Madeira, 1 tablespoon mustard, and marjoram. Simmer 2 minutes.
- 37Taste, adding more mustard if desired.
- 38Season gravy with salt and pepper.
- 39Brush turkey with maple butter.
- 40Serve turkey with gravy.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maple-Glazed Turkey With Dijon Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (864 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1252.6
- Calories from Fat 599
- Total Fat 66.6 g
- Saturated Fat 24.7 g
- Cholesterol 452.1 mg
- Sodium 471.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 126.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: