Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
You may prepare and bake this complete dish hours ahead, and let sit at room temperature, just rewarm in a 375 degree oven, uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup, plus
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (1/2 cup plus 2 tbsps in all)
- 6 tablespoons butter (no subs!)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed (or use 1/2 cup unpacked)
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into about 1/4-inch slices (you can slice them larger but you might have to increase the cooking time slightly)
- boiling water, with
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Set oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large pot bring water with about 1 tablespoon salt to a full boil.
- Add in sweet potatoes and bring back to a boil; simmer/blanch for about 5 minutes (no more than 5 minutes at a boil); drain and rinse under COLD water; pat dry slightly with paper towels.
- Arrange the potatoes in the buttered dish, overlapping slighty.
- Sprinkle with about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt.
- Pour the maple syrup over potatoes in the dish.
- Dot with about 6 tablespoons butter.
- Cover with foil, and bake until the potatoes are ALMOST tender (about 25-30 minutes).
- In a small bowl or cup mix the flour and brown sugar together.
- Add in 7 tablespoons butter; rub together with fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; mix in pecans.
- Remove the dish from oven and sprinkle the pecan mixture over over the potatoes.
- Return to oven (uncovered) to bake for another 20 minutes.
My DM and DD enjoyed these sweet potatoes a lot! The pecan topping is very good and loved the maple syrup on the sweet potatoes. The next day I roughly mashed them and they were great. Kitten thank you for a wonderfrul Thanksgiving dinner!
Have made this for family and friends twice now and everyone enjoys it. I'm going to make it again at Easter and tweak it a little.
I followed your recipe but this recipe didn't make a good sauce. It was very clumpy and we really did not care for the flavor. Sorry