Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
You may prepare and bake this complete dish hours ahead, and let sit at room temperature, just rewarm in a 375 degree oven, uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup, plus
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (1/2 cup plus 2 tbsps in all)
- 6 tablespoons butter (no subs!)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed (or use 1/2 cup unpacked)
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into about 1/4-inch slices (you can slice them larger but you might have to increase the cooking time slightly)
- boiling water, with
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Set oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large pot bring water with about 1 tablespoon salt to a full boil.
- Add in sweet potatoes and bring back to a boil; simmer/blanch for about 5 minutes (no more than 5 minutes at a boil); drain and rinse under COLD water; pat dry slightly with paper towels.
- Arrange the potatoes in the buttered dish, overlapping slighty.
- Sprinkle with about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt.
- Pour the maple syrup over potatoes in the dish.
- Dot with about 6 tablespoons butter.
- Cover with foil, and bake until the potatoes are ALMOST tender (about 25-30 minutes).
- In a small bowl or cup mix the flour and brown sugar together.
- Add in 7 tablespoons butter; rub together with fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; mix in pecans.
- Remove the dish from oven and sprinkle the pecan mixture over over the potatoes.
- Return to oven (uncovered) to bake for another 20 minutes.