Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'm the only one in my family that adores beets, so when I do make them it's got to be very special, like these luscious beety babes!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beets, peeled and quartered (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the beets in a roasting pan.
- Dot with 1 tablespoon of margarine, and roast the beets, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Melt the other 2 tablespoons of margarine in the microwave.
- Stir in the maple syrup and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice.
- Pour this mixture over the beets.
- Bake, covered, for another 30 minutes, or until the beets are tender and the sauce is thick.
- Sprinkle with the lemon zest and serve.
This is a nice change from Harvard beets etc. We have beets quite of ten and this will join in the ranks of our favorite. It is so easy and the lemon gives some zip in combination with the Maple syrup Thanks Mirj -
if fresh beets out of season, use same amounts of canned and proceed exactly the same as mirj, but eliminate 30 minutes in oven-hers is VERY EASY and JUST DELICIOUS !!!!!! Thanks Mirj
This is a great recipe! Easy to prepare and tasty, too! Thanks for a keeper!