Recipe by TasteTester
I love beets, so I always try new recipes for them when I find one. Instead of just maple syrup, this version adds a little tang from balsamic vinegar that I like because it cuts the sweetness just a little. If you don't like vinegar, however, you can just leave it out.
Top Review by Cadillacgirl
These were amazing! We all loved them - will definitely make these in the summer when we have beets from the garden. I used 8 beets but I think there was enough sauce for 10 easy. Also gonna try it with half carrots! Made for PAC Spring '12.
- 2 bunches medium beets, trimmed and cut into wedges (I sometimes use canned whole beets when I'm in a hurry)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. In ovenproof skillet, toss beets with olive oil. Bake 30 minutes, then cover with aluminum foil and bake 1 hour more.
- (For canned beets, cook on stove until thoroughly heated through, then drain and continue with recipe.).
- Remove foil; stir in 1/2 cup water, maple syrup and vinegar. Place skillet on stovetop. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook 5-8 minutes, or until mixture is reduced to a syrupy consistency. Transfer to serving dish and and sprinkle with scallions.