Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 3 acorn squash (1 1/2 pounds each)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter a baking dish.
- Cut top and bottom off squash.
- Slice crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out center seeds.
- Arrange squash in baking dish.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until bubbly; pour over squash.
- Bake, basting occasionally, until tender, 30 minutes.
- If squash needs browning, turn up heat in broiler; broil until lightly glazed.
I was a bit wary of the of the ginger and mace working with the maple syrup and cinnamon. The result was so fantastic that I would heat the ingredients together and serve it as a pankcake or desert topping. Thanks, Mirj it's a wonderfull way to make baked acorn squash.
The combination of cinnamon, ginger, mace & maple syrup is wonderful. I goofed I peeled the squash - I think it would look more attractive with the rind on. When I reread your recipe Mirj I saw that it did not say to peel. The flavor was great either way Thanks Mirj for another winner
YUM! I picked up some acorn squash at the supermarket and was looking specifically for recipes for them. I liked this recipe because of the maple syrup and the fact that the squash was sliced for quicker cooking! I loved the glaze! My family didn't appreciate the squash, but I did and would be happy to try it again! Thanks, Mirj, for a yummy fall side dish!