4 hrs 30 mins
This was the very first turkey I ever made (Thanksgiving '07.) I broke down the recipe into detailed steps so it was super easy to follow! (*note: stuffing recipe not included)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 -14 lbs turkey
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, skin on
- 1Defrost turkey completely. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2Prepare desired stuffing (about 5-7 cups for this size turkey); set aside.
- 3Remove any innards (kidney's, neck etc), and excess fat from the neck or chest cavity then rinse thoughroughly with cool water; pat dry.
- 4Combine the butter, orange juice, maple syrup, thyme, salt & pepper in a microwave safe bowl. Heat to melt (30-60 seconds).
- 5Stuff chest cavity loosely and secure skin flap by making a small hole just big enough to strech over the leg bones. If the skin flap has been removed, don't worry, the turkey will be tented with foil.
- 6Set turkey in roasting pan (i didn't use a roasting rack but you can if you like!) Pour in 1 cup broth and 1 cup water.
- 7Using a baster, inject some maple butter under the breast skin until a bubble forms. Push the bubble around a bit to spread it out.
- 8Baste the turkey with more maple butter and set aside any extra.
- 9Put on middle rack of oven, uncovered, for the first 30 minutes. At that time baste and cover tukey with a foil tent and continue to baste every 30 minutes.
- 10After 2 hours of cooking add veggies, bay leaves and garlic around the turkey. Add additional cup of brothand any extra maple butter. Again, continue basting every 30 minutes.
- 11This size turkey should take about 4 hours to cook. During last 30 minutes, remove foil to let skin crisp up.
- 12You'll know the turkey is done when the drumsticks move loosely in sockets and a temperature of 160 F is reached in the thickest part of the thigh.
- 13Set turkey on carving board and refoil, let rest for 30 minutes before carving.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maple Glaze Roast Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (499 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 839.0
- Calories from Fat 399
- Total Fat 44.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 329.0 mg
- Sodium 642.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 94.1 g