Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe won 1st prize at Lakefield, Ont. 1979. Prizewinning Country Kitchen Recipes
- 1 1⁄3 cups eagle brand sweetened condensed milk (not Evaporated)
- 1 cup real maple syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except the nuts in a medium saucepan.
- Simmer slowly, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Continue cooking mixture, stirring occasionally until it reaches soft ball stage or a temperature of 236°F Cool without stirring to a temperature of 110°F or until mixture feels warm.
- Beat until thick, add nuts and pour into buttered pie pan.
- Allow to set.
Save yourself a headache and just throw in a bag of white chocolate chips and maybe a tablespoon or two of evaporated milk as well to make it creamier.
This recipe was very vague. It did not tell what level of heat to cook the fudge or what the recommended pan is to use. I tried twice and ruined two pans trying to get it to the required temperature. Is there a secret technique that isn't mentioned here?
Great recipe! I cooked the mixture to 234 degrees and cooled it to 120 degrees and it turned out very creamy and delicious. Enjoy!