Recipe by justcallmetoni
A lovely bar cookie for us Fig Newton lovers. I have not tried this yet and will modify once I've done so. Posted for the Zaar World Tour of Canada.
Top Review by Mrs Goodall
I liked this toni. I gave it a 4 only because I was expecting more of a bar cookie. They were more like a dense spice cake. I agree with the changes Susie suggested above. Will try again with just a few modifications! Thanks Toni!!
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup chopped dried fig
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour or 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In small bowl, whisk together first 7 ingredients (oil through figs).
- In medium bowl, combine next 5 ingredients (flour through salt). Mix contents of two bowls and blend until just combined. Lighty coat 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread batter in dish.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until light brown and springy to touch. Cool in pan for one hour.
- Mix together icing ingredients, using more water if necessary to reach desired consistency. Spread icing over cooled pan of cookies and cut into bars.