Recipe by Ashbow
This recipe won Food Network magazines first 'secret-ingredient recipe contest'. The secret ingredient was Maple Syrup. Kara Sow created this delicious winner!
Top Review by bricookie55
These cupcakes get a full five stars from my family, but there are some errors in this copy of the recipe. On Food Network's website, the recipe calls for 1/4 cup of granulated and 1/4 cup of brown sugar, not 3/4 of each like this copy states. Also, the 1/2 cup of chopped bacon that goes in the cupcake batter comes out to be 5 strips. I will make these again, but this time I will use the 1/4 cup of the sugars because I think they will be even better. Awesome recipe!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 (4 ounce) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup bacon, chopped and cooked
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Prepare the cupcakes:
- Combine the flours, pudding mix, baking powder, potato starch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugars with a mixer on low speed until combined, 6 to 8 minutes. Gradually mix in the vanilla and egg whites. Scrape down the sides of the bowl; continue mixing until light and fluffy.Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the maple syrup and half-and-half. mixing after each addition and ending with flour.Mix until the ingredients are just combined; do not overmix. Fold in the bacon.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about three-quarters of the way. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting:.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter with a mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add the confectioners sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon; beat until combined. Spread on the cooled cupcakes; top with chopped bacon, if desired.