Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
wonderful twist on french toast! The syrup is in the toast :-)
- 4 slices bakery white bread, sliced to 1 inch thickness
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄8 cup real maple syrup
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh-grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, for cooking
- fresh berries, for serving
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- First allow your sliced bread to sit at room temperature for approximately 1 hour to allow the surfaces to dry out.
- In a wide bowl, beat your eggs with your maple syrup until the mixture is slightly thickened.
- Beat in the milk, vanilla, nutmeg and salt.
- Place your bread slices in the mixture and allow them to soak in the mixture for approximately 5 minutes until saturated well.
- Next you will want to preheat your skillet over medium heat and add 2 Tablespoons of butter.
- Once your butter has melted reduce your heat to medium-low and saute bread slices for about 5-6 minutes per side, making sure that you flip each slice over every 2 minutes or so to make sure that they brown evenly.
- You may have to cook in 2 batches if you use a smaller skillet.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, and place random berries around the plate for a nice look and tasty meal.
This is wonderful! I used French Bread cut into 0.5" slices, so it did not need soaking for a long time .. I also added a little sugar because my husband likes his french toast sweet .. thanks for sharing this recipe, I will make it again!
Yum! This made a lovely brunch recipe. My 3 year old is now you best friend LOL. Nice and easy and tasty too!
This was SO FANTASTIC !!! Absolutely delicious, simple to make, and better than any French Toast I've ever had !! I used Challah bread from the bakery that was shaped like regular bread (not the typical braided shape)--I followed your recipe to the letter, and was completely thrilled with my breakfast!! I dusted the top with powdered sugar as recommended, and was delighted with the subtle maple syrup flavor, and the nutmeg added the perfect *something special* that makes this recipe an absolute winner!! No additional syrup was needed, as the egg mixture has a perfectly balanced flavored--I can't tell you how happy I am that I picked your recipe to try this morning! Thank you SO MUCH !!! I'll be making this many times in the future...this is a real 5 star keeper!! Thank you!! Teresa