The Maple Dijon dressing is the ticket here! (It’s also a perfect marinade for chicken or pork) Both refreshing and filling, this salad is just right. Great as an appetizer or as a meal on it’s own!
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 1⁄4 cups romaine lettuce, torn
- 1 1⁄4 cups Baby Spinach, torn
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, matchstick cut
- 1⁄2 small red onion, cut into rings
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup apple, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup mandarin orange pieces
- 1⁄3 cup pecans (whole or chopped)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- cooked chicken (optional)
- Be sure to wash the fruits and vegetables and dry on paper towels before cutting.
- In a large bowl, mix your salad greens.
- Sprinkle the carrot, red onion, apple and mandarin orange pieces over the top (they can be mixed in if desired).
- Sprinkle your salad with the pecans and sesame seeds.
- For the dressing, in a shaker bottle, add the maple syrup, Dijon mustard, brown sugar and Balsamic Vinegar.
- Shake well.
- Pour desired amount over your salad.
- * Top with chicken pieces if desired.
This was pretty good! There's only 2 of us, so I halved the recipe for the dressing but I probably should have fourthed it. We had about 1/2 cup left over. The dijon makes it a little spicy almost...but good. I didn't have red onions, so I used green onions, but I think I wouldn't do that again...the flavor of the onions didn't mix well with the dressing in my opinion.
This made a great salad! How nice that the dressing had no oil. Nice mix of ingredients. Thank you!
We added the chicken pieces but this salad would be great without it too. Loved the spinach along with the iceburg and romaine lettuce, mandarin oranges are my very favorite, the vegetables went well with the fruit and the addition of the pecans and sesame seeds. The salad dressing was perfect! A very good salad that we will definitely be making again. Thank you Chef and good luck.