Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Baked rice custard is a favorite Chinese treat, usually served with dim sum meals. Also considered a great comfort food in North America. This version is delicious hot or cold.
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups light cream (10%)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice (cooked in milk instead of water)
- maple syrup, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butter a 12-inch square casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, cream, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and eggs; mix well to ensure that the eggs are thoroughly incorporated.
- Add rice and stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish; bake until mixture is set and top is golden and bubbling (30-40 minutes) or for a slightly creamier consistency cook in a hot water bath for 40-45 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold, drizzled with maple syrup.
Was gooey and not one ate it. I was disappointed as this was dessert for our guests.