Recipe by Irmgard
This is a delicious free-form apple pie with a light, buttery crust. The crust ingredients didn't come together when I mixed them so if this happens to you, add a few tablespoons of ice water. It will then hold together beautifully.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes and chilled
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 5 granny smith apples
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, mixed with 2 tbsp. cold water, for brushing
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, oats, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture has the texture of coarse meal.
- Stir together the sour cream and maple syrup and add them to the dough, mixing until it just comes together.
- Chill the dough for 15 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, peel and slice the apples.
- Toss with the maple syrup and cinnamon.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4" thick.
- Slide the dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place the apples and all the syrup into the centre of the pastry.
- Dot with the butter.
- Fold the crust over the apples in 5 folds, leaving some of the filling visible.
- Brush with the egg wash and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the crust is brown and the filling is bubbling.