Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
This do-ahead, fancy, impressive dessert will WOW your guests this holiday season! Compliments of Bon Appetit.
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 7 large egg yolks
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 ripe bartlett pears, unpeeled, quartered, cored
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup creme fraiche or 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- For Flan: Simmer maple syrup in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in cream; return to simmer.
- Whisk egg yolks in large bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture.
- Whisk in salt.
- Strain custard into another large bowl.
- Cover and chill until cold, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Stir in sugar, 1/4 cup water, and light corn syrup in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolved.
- Increase heat and boil without stirring until syrup is deep amber color, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan, about 6 minutes.
- Pour syrup into 9x5x3-inch nonstick metal loaf pan, tilting pan carefully to coat sides.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Pour custard into pan with syrup.
- Place loaf pan in large roasting pan.
- Add enough hot water to roasting pan to come halfway up sides of loaf pan.
- Cover roasting pan with foil.
- Pierce foil all over with fork.
- Bake flan 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 325°F.
- Uncover and bake until flan is set around edges but center moves slightly when pan is gently shaken, about 1 hour longer.
- Remove flan from water.
- Transfer to rack; cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- For Pears: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt butter in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Arrange pears, 1 cut side down, in skillet.
- Cook until brown, about 4 minutes.
- Turn onto second cut side and cook until brown, about 4 minutes longer.
- Stir in maple syrup; bring to boil.
- Place in oven and bake until pears are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer pears to plate.
- Whisk creme fraiche and salt into sauce in skillet.
- Return pears to skillet and toss to coat.
- Run sharp knife around edge of flan to loosen.
- Invert flan onto platter.
- Surround with pears and sauce.