Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is from Bon Appetit in June 2007. This was a recipe request from P&H Truck Stop in Wells River, Vermont.
- 1 frozen 9-inch deep dish pie shell
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups pure maple syrup, grade B
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Bake and cool pie crust according to package directions.
- Whisk milk, syrup and yolks in a large bowl to blend.
- Whisk flour and cornstarch in medium bowl.
- Gradually whisk 1 cup milk mixture into flour mixture. Gradually whisk in remaining milk mixture.
- Transfer to a large saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until custard thickens and boils, about 8 minutes. Whisk in 2 teaspoons vanilla. Pour into prepared pie crust. Chill until cold, about 3 hours. (You can make up to this point a day ahead--just cover and keep chilled.).
- Beat cream, sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in medium bowl until peaks form. Spread whipped cream over pie adn sprinkle with walnuts.
A good and sweet recipe. It took more time to cook than expected. Easier to make than expected. I did add some chocolate sauce drizzled on top for extra garnish. A true crowd pleaser!