Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Plan ahead this needs to be refrigerated for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight. I tossed the bread cubes with a couple teaspoons of cinnamon before placing in the baking dish, but that is optional, if you prefer a less sweeter taste just omit the white sugar completely --- this is *very* good!
Top Review by Marylizabeth
This is a great recipe. I have made it a couple of times. I add lots of cinnamon and nutmeg, chopped walnuts, fresh apple chunks, and golden raisins. Light cream cheese and 2% milk works just fine. One of the reviews suggested adding the bread pieces to the egg/milk mixture and letting it soak a bit before moving it to the 9X13 pan. Worked GREAT!
- 2365.9 ml bread cubes (cut into about 1-inch cubes, use stale bread but not hard for this)
- 226.79 g package cream cheese
- 44.37-59.16 ml sugar (optional or to taste)
- 8 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 354.88 ml full-fat milk
- 158.51 ml half-and-half cream (or use all half and half cream)
- 118.29 ml maple syrup
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the bread cubes in a buttered 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl beat the softened cream cheese with sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth and well combined.
- Add in eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Add in milk, half and half cream, maple syrup and vanilla; beat until well combined.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the bread cubes in the baking dish, using a fork or spoon gently lift the cubes so that they coat evenly with the egg mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Next morning set oven to 375°F.
- Remove the dish from the fridge and let sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bake uncovered for about 45-50 minutes or until set and a golden brown colour.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with maple more maple syrup.