Recipe by Jane from Ohio
This came from the November Good Housekeeping magazine. The picture looked absolutely delicious. I am posting for safe keeping. You can prepare and arrange the sweet potatoes and syrup separtely up to 1 day ahead. Refridgerate separately. Allow both to come to room temperature before baking. Select sweet potatoes the same size so they cook evenly.
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled (5 Med)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberries (half of a 12 oz bag)
- 3 tablespoons butter (no substitutions)
Directions See How It's Made
- .In a covered 6-quart sauce pan, heat whole sweet potates with salt and. enough water to cover to boiling on high.
- reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or.
- . Just until fork tender
- set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a 1-quart saucepan
- heat maple syrup on high till boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- boil gently 10 to 15 minutes.
- or until reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Stir in cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- cook just until cranberries pop.
- about 5 minutes longer.
- preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut cooled sweet potates crosswise in 1 inch thick slices.
- arrange slices in a shallow 3 quart ceramic or glass baking dish.
- overlapping slices if necessary.
- Spoon maple-cranberry syrup evenly over potatoes.
- Bake uncovered.
- 20 minutes or until hot.