Prep 5 mins
Cook 9 mins
A delicate cookie which can be eaten on its own or filled with ice cream, cream cheese, candies-use your imagination. The success with this recipe depends on timing. Follow directions carefully! From The New Americana Cookbook.
- 1 cup maple syrup (NOT imitation)
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil or 1⁄2 cup any bland oil
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick oil. (I prefer to line a cookie sheet with parchment paper then oil the paper.).
- In a saucepan, boil the maple syrup and oil together for 30 seconds. Be cautious to avoid burning yourself! Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the flour and salt until well blended.
- Oil a measuring utensil and drop the dough by the tablespoon onto the prepared cookie sheet. **IMPORTANT**: Leave 3 inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes, until the cookie is the color of maple syrup. Remove from oven and let cool 1 minute.
- Carefully remove cookies one at a time. Using a 3/4" to 1" inch piece of dowel, or a broom handle; place the cookie around the dowel (after the 1 minute cooling stage) and roll into either a cornucopia (or curl) around the handle.