Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Sweet potatoes and fire get along perfectly. Don't be confused by the labels in the produce aisle. For the best flavor you want buy what the local grocer calls "yams". They aren't really yams at all - good luck finding a real yam. If you substitute lemon juice for lime juice you lose a lot of the flavor. Getting the right heat and the right distance from the flame takes some experience and experimentation. You might want to practice with one piece of potato at a time until you get it right. You should use a vegetable grill rack because the pieces of potato have a tendency to slip into the fire.
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup real maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes
- Combine all of the ingredients except the sweet potatoes together in a large bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl and toss to coat evenly.
- Use a medium heat fire and turn frequently. Baste with liquid from the bowl whenever the potatoes are turned. Grill until they are lightly charred and can be easily pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.