Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Mainly we eat our sweet potatoes plain with butter or Nutmeg Butter but I was short on butter tonight and wanted something a little more emphatic to contrast with a delicate fish. So I came up with this simple sauce.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup pancake syrup (sugar-free OK)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (to taste)
- 1⁄8 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Put sweet potatoes into a pan that will fit into your microwave. Add 1/2 inch water and cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 5-7 minutes according to whether your microwave is higher power or lower power.
- Rotate pan, repeat. Rotate pan again, repeat again.
- CAREFULLY uncover the sweet potatoes and test for doneness. They will probably be not quite ready. Rearrange the potatoes to get the least-cooked portions to the outside.
- Cook 3-5 minutes more. Test. Repeat if necessary until done. Drain off any remaining water. Set potatoes aside.
- Put butter into microwavable bowl. Melt in microwave in short bursts so as not to spatter.
- Add vanilla, syrup, and cinnamon. Whisk together with a fork.
- Heat sauce in 30 second bursts until hot. Whisk together again.
- Split potatoes and press them to pop the slit open. Drizzle on a tablespoon or two of sauce. Garnish with a sprinkling of pecans if desired.