Prep 24 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
A friend made these, and I asked her for the recipe. She had found it on Pinterest. I made some adjustments when I made them. They technically are not braised since they are not seared in the beginning, I think I might try that next time, but this is written the way that she and I made them. They are definitely a labor of love. Whenever I make ribs, I am reminded why they are $15-$25 dollars a plate in the restaurant!
- 4 lbs pork ribs (I doubled this with same amount of rub, sauce, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, ground
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dry oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
Maple Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried chipotle powder (according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups maple chipotle barbecue sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- Place ribs in a single layer in a large covered roasting pan or on a cookie sheet that you have covered with aluminum foil.
- Rub all over the surface of the ribs with rub. You can do this step the day before and let the ribs marinate in the spices overnight to infuse the flavor into the meat.
- Cover the ribs with foil and bake in a 300 degree oven for 1.5 hours.
- Make the barbecue sauce: In a small sauce pan, cook the onions and garlic in the olive oil until well softened and beginning to caramelize.
- Add the other ingredients and simmer slowly for about 20-30 minutes or until reduced by .25 the initial volume, stirring often.
- When cool, puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- After the ribs have dry cooked for ~1.5 hours, let them cool to be able to cut the meat into individual ribs and place in a covered roasting pan.
- Combine the braise ingredients and add the braise to the pan, cover, and return to the oven for 1.5 - 2 hours or until they are very tender with the meat falling off the bones.