Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Nigella Lawson
- 12 spareribs
- 12 chicken thighs, with skin and bones
- 1 cup apple juice, as sharp as possible
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- 6 unpeeled garlic cloves
- Put the ribs and chicken pieces in a couple of large freezer bags or into a dish.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, squelching everything together well before sealing the bag or covering the dish.
- Leave to marinate in the refrigerator overnight or up to 2 days.
- Take the dish out of the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pour the contents of the freezer bag into 1 or 2 large roasting trays (making sure the chicken is skin side up) and place in the preheated oven and cook for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, by which time everything should be sticky and glossy brown.